Become a Trainer with Trans-Affirming NJ!
Want to Be A Part of this Project?
Become a Facilitator!
The TOT project involves a cohort of 8-10 people to co-facilitate our Part 1: Trans & Non-Binary Basics curriculum in the Trans-Affirming NJ series. If you are an NJ-based trainer who has expertise in affirming transgender and non-binary people, we welcome you to apply for our Training-of-Trainers program!
Participants accepted for the program will be trained to implement a trans-authored, NJ-specific curriculum and connected with paid opportunities to facilitate the training in NJ. Trainers will also be provided with monthly technical assistance/professional development by The Transgender Training Institute team.
The TOT is open to people of all genders. We prioritize including members of trans communities, particularly those with intersecting identities that are typically un/der-represented. Experience with facilitating trainings is helpful but not required, knowledge of how to support and affirm people across trans communities is mandatory. Applicants accepted into the program must complete all three parts of the training series prior to attending the TOT.
Commitment to Community
TransAffirming NJ and the Transgender Training Institute have a shared commitment to center the voices of transgender and non-binary people and bring money and resources back to trans & non-binary communities. As part of this project, participants will receive a stipend of $2000 in quarterly installments for the following:
– Attending all 5 days of the TOT
– Monthly TA sessions
– Co-Facilitating the Trans 101 2x
– Participation in the NJ Virtual Symposium
– Admin time (email, reporting, etc)
We will be prioritizing applicants who identify as transgender, non-binary or gender non-conforming or who have close loved ones in their lives who identify as transgender, non-binary or gender
We actively encourage applicants from historically excluded communities, particularly but not limited to trans, Two-Spirit, and non-binary people, Black, Indigenous, Asian American and Pacific Islander, and other people of color, people who are neurodivergent, disabled, who have not obtained a post-secondary degree, and anyone who has experienced systemic oppression and/or gender-based violence to apply.
Unfortunately, due to circumstances out of our control, we will not be running the 2023 TOT Cohort.
Criteria to Apply
The Qualifications for a future cohort include:
- Must reside, study, or work in NJ – In depth knowledge and familiarity of transgender & non-binary people, terminology and experiences
- Willingness, experience with, and ability to communicate this knowledge in a supportive way to audiences who are new to learning about these topics.
- Experience with facilitation, training, educating, etc in a formal or informal setting(s)
- Capacity to participate in the TOT – Commitment to co-facilitating at least 1 open enrollment session.
- Participation in the our ongoing/monthly cohort meetings and trainings.
- Selected participants are required to attend Part 1: Trans & Non-Binary Basics in advance of the March TOT regardless of previous attendance.
What past NJTA TOT participants have said:
TransAffirmingNJ is a joint effort between NJ Department of Children & Families, Division on Women & The Transgender Training Institute to help build safer communities for transgender, non-binary and gender non-conforming people across the State of New Jersey.
This project is supported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention via Rape Prevention Education grant funds, administered by the NJ Department of Children & Families, Division on Women.